Recently, I visited New Orleans for a quick two day trip. The last time I had been was for my 21st birthday so more grenades than actual restaurants. This time we wanted to learn about the impressive culinary tradition matched only by the city’s rich music scene. Translation – we ate a lot, and I think there was some music!
Thanks to excellent recommendations, my husband and I were able to indulge in the best of NOLA.
Below are a few of our faves in case you ever find yourself planning a trip.
- Ruby Slipper (for brunch) – excellent first meal. The chicken and biscuits were stellar.
- Beignets at Café Du Monde – I am more of a put chocolate on whatever type dessert person, but a must for most. A great area for people watching. Within a few blocks, we found a quirky gallery, Gallery Burguieres. The artist, Ally Burguieres, draws Alice in Wonderland inspired images, so I was instantly a fan.
- John Besh has a few restaurants in the area. We dined at Restaurant August. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, but pricey. This was our indulge meal.
- Atchafalaya – excellent brunch spot. They have delicious bellinis and are known for their bloody mary bar.
- Stayed at The Saint Hotel – a boutique spot next to the Ritz Carlton, excellent location and a great value. Just a couple blocks from Bourbon Street which comes in handy when you realize you’re 30+ and can’t hang with the nervous college students trying to sneak their fake IDs by the bouncers.
- Last but not least EAT New Orleans. It is a quaint local spot. Delicious food using local farm fresh ingredients. It is a BYOB spot, so if you like your vino make sure to bring a bottle or five with you. There is a shop around the corner open until 9PM I believe and we purchased a bottle of red there while waiting for our table.
- And, P.S. while I am a Starbucks kinda lady…I really enjoyed PJ’s Coffee.
Below you will find a few pics from the trip. Enjoy!